The Confirmation Class of Congregation Beth Torah invites you to celebrate with them at their Confirmation service Sunday, the 24th of May, 2015, 6 Sivan, 5775 at 10:00 a.m., and to join them for lunch hosted by their families following worship.
Confirmands: Jared Austin Boehm • Sarah Lynn Milgrim • Adam Joseph Levin • Dylan Benjamin Emert • Liam Nielsenshultz • Oscar Robert Chase • Sydney Harper Kitt • Jill Franklin • Blaire E. Ellenberg
Confirmation is not graduation from Religious School. It is a religious event to welcome the most recent class of students to the congregation, and listen to their religious messages. Please plan to attend this very interesting service.
Confirmation, which may be celebrated when a student is ready, in 10th grade or above, marks the beginning of the student's more mature understanding of mitzvot and Torah and is a time when students actively confirm their beliefs and commitment to Judaism. The Confirmation program provides the beginning of an adult education in Judaism. The curriculum demonstrates the methods of Jewish thinking for considering serious social issues in the contemporary world. The program includes a Confirmation retreat, an Etgar 36 Civil Rights Journey through the South to learn about the Jewish involvement in our country’s civil rights struggle, a community service requirement, and/or participation in our Mentor Program, in addition to classes. Criteria for Confirmation include:
• three years of Jewish education post bar/bat mitzvah age
• one post bar/bat mitzvah class studying Reform Judaism, Comparative Religion or Comparative Judaism.
• at least one class with either Rabbi prior to Confirmation, in 10th grade or above
• Confirmation class (offered 3rd Trimester as part of the Wednesday Night TAG program to 10th grade and above)
• Participation in the other elements of Confirmation (community service and/or Mentor Program, Etgar 36 Trip, day at Grand Avenue Temple, essay, service preparation, etc.)